I am a collector of words

Words feed me, free me, comfort, uplift and heal me. I've been saving my favorites in books, handwritten over the years and thought that perhaps in sharing them, not only am I preserving them for myself, but perhaps others may also find healing in them as I have.

Monday, August 29, 2011

4 Gates Before Speaking/ Right Speech


An old Sufi tradition advises us to speak only after our words have managed to pass through four gates. 
 
At the first gate, we ask ourselves, "Are these words true?" 
If so, we let them pass on; if not, back they go. 
At the second gate we ask; "Are they necessary?" 
At the third gate we ask; "Are they beneficial?" 
and at the fourth gate, we ask, "Are they kind?" 
If the answer to any of these is no, then what you are about to say should be left unsaid.

No comments:

Post a Comment