I am a collector of words

Words feed me, free me, comfort, uplift and heal me. I've been saving my favorites in books, handwritten over the years and thought that perhaps in sharing them, not only am I preserving them for myself, but perhaps others may also find healing in them as I have.

Sunday, August 1, 2010

Forgiveness

Please do not believe me
if ever I should say that you've upset me.
Sometimes I forget the true source of my feelings.

You cannot make me sad,
impatient,
angry,
or otherwise dis-eased.
Only a hope or expectation of you on my part,
which you have not fulfilled,
can move me thus.

Yet I am much too human
to be without hopes and expectations,
and I am also much too human
to live always in the knowing
that my hopes and expectations
have no claim upon your being.

So if I say that you've upset me,
please forgive me for attempting
to disinherit my own self's creation of my pain.
And please do not ignore my deeper message:
I care enough about you
to include you in my hopes and expectations.
~Noel McInnis

No comments:

Post a Comment